Custom Search

Monday, December 29, 2008

New Year's Eve and Our Custom

Filipinos are known to be superstitious and we have lots of trends which we follow. I heard that we got our custom from the Spaniards and Chinese who also believe in many superstitions. I would love to share some of the things I knew that we sincerely follow on New Year's Eve. Today is the 30th of December and I am excited for tomorrow night. In fact I bought some fruits already for tomorrow as part of this trend. The photos below are my preparation for the New Year's Eve. Here are the custom that are very common to all Filipino families.





  • We make sure that all our family members are awake before midnight, and everybody is home and stay together until its 12:00 midnight. We believe that if we do so then we will be together as family through out the year.
  • We make sure that we have something round on our tables like oranges, grapes, watermelon, kiwi etc... This tradition came from Chinese and we believe that by doing this we are welcoming the year with wealth and prosperity.
  • We welcome the New Year with firecrackers and making all sorts of noise.
  • Before midnight, we make sure that our rice box and other food jars are full and not empty. This custom gives us hope and faith that we will not be hungry through out the year. We will always have food on our table and not be lacking of things we need.
  • During midnight, there will be a siren and that indicates that it is already the start of the New Year. When the siren starts parents ask kids to keep jumping until the siren is over. I did this myself when I was a kid believing that I will grow taller when I jump.
  • All families gather together to eat and celebrate then after midnight we can already visit our friends and also eat whatever food they prepare.

Filipinos are really superstitious and full of trends. To some it may be ridiculous to do all of these practices. I see it the other way, whether or not these custom are really true and working or not it only shows how Filipinos show their faith. We are people that are full of hope and good faith. We welcome good things in our families and our homes and we stay together through ups and downs as family. God bless the Filipinos and everyone. I wish you all a blessed year to come.